Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Excuse Bag

There may be many reasons why we are the way we are. Don't let them be an excuse to stay that way.
I think most of us carry around an excuse bag for our behavior. I know I've used plenty of excuses. One being, "If you knew what I've been through you would see I have a good excuse."
Personally, I wanted to stop making excuses and get well mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically. I wanted with all my heart to move forward.
The story of the man lying by the pool for 38 years really opened my eyes. When Jesus saw him there our kind, tenderhearted, loving Jesus said 6 words, "Do you want to get well?" Right away this man started to make excuses. Jesus said, "Stand up. Pick up your mat and walk." (read the story in John 5)
If we truly want a change in our lives we need to stop making excuses. I was 38 years old and at a turning point in my life when I read this story. I had been lying around pulling one excuse after another out of my excuse bag. These excuses made me bitter, angry, and sometimes literally physically sick. I needed and wanted to get well.
We have to get rid of excuses. There may be many reasons why we are the way we are. Don't let them be an excuse to stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment