Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Why Is Thanksgiving My Favorite Holiday?

by Kay Heitsch
Anyone who knows me well knows there are certain things that have always been very important to me. First of all, my relationship with the Lord, my family and friends, my country, and that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!
I'd never really thought much about why Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday until this year. Somehow, deep in my heart I've felt something was extra special about it. What I found out this past year gave me some insight into why Thanksgiving has always been so important to me.
Around May my husband, Bill, sent for a kit to find out my DNA. Much to my surprise I received the results on my Mom's birthday. I found out that my 10th Great Grandfather was William Brewster. William Brewster, actually was a minister who came over on the Mayflower. He was one of the Pilgrims at the first Thanksgiving!
I was thinking about Thanksgiving this past week when it dawned on me why it has always been my favorite holiday. Thanksgiving has always been special to me, but this year it's going to be extra special. Why? Because now my head knows what my heart knew all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment