Sunday, May 15, 2016

When Life Gets Hard

by Kay Heitsch
What can we do when life gets hard?
I'm certainly not an expert on this subject, but I've been through a few situations that have been hard. I can't say I've handled them all in a positive way. I've had to learn from doing it wrong.
One of the first things I do that's positive is to remember how the Lord has helped me in the past. I bring to mind certain situations like "bury the bird" and I smile at how God used a dead bird to work a miracle in that situation.
I do my best not to ask, "Why is this happening to me?" I try to think, "Now what should I do with God's help." I do what I can and trust God to do what I can't.
Another thing I do is to thank God that He is working in my situation. He knows all the details better than I do. When I pray like this I don't get caught up in thinking about the negative situation. If I let my mind go down that negative road I feel bad even though I'm praying.
I fill my mind with Bible verses that encourage me. Here are a few I use.
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Proverb 3:5
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Philippians 4:6
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
Has everything in my life turned out the way I thought it would? No, it hasn't. But I have learned that in all things God can work for good when I trust in him and I don't depend on my own understanding. When I pray and don't worry that relieves the stress. Knowing that Christ will give me the strength to do anything I need to do with His help empowers me. And finally, I can choose to be happy because the Lord has given me this day to rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment