Thursday, May 19, 2016

I Have A Right!

by Kay Heitsch
For many years I lived with the attitude, I have a right to be negative; look at what I've been through. I was negative because 'I have a right' to be this way. Who wouldn't?
I struggled along with this attitude for many years. As a result I was very cold and hard. Quite honestly, I never cried until Todd died. I had built a huge wall around myself.
I remember when I moved into a new neighborhood someone tried to befriend me. I made it very clear that I wasn't going to be there long so don't try to be friends. I don't need people in my life.
Somehow I knew I needed help. I started reading books by Dr. Peale. He told stories about people who had been through hard times too, but they had a different attitude than I had. Dr. Peale showed by Bible verses how and why. I was so intrigued I bought myself a Bible.
One day I came on the verse "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." John 10:10. Right then a thought came to my mind, "Kay, you 'have a right' to be positive and happy. I died to give you that right!
Now I still say, "I have a right" but it's different than it was years ago. I know by God's help, 'I have a right' to be happy and positive right now no matter what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment