Friday, October 7, 2016

Remembering

by Kay Heitsch
"Often in life we forget the things we should remember, and remember the things we should forget." was the quote that stood out to me today.
I read a book by Dr. Caroline Leaf that pointed out why we keep remembering things we should let go. We keep remembering these unpleasant memories because we have thought about them over and over. By doing this these thoughts make deep grooves in our brains. She said we can undo this by purposely thinking something else every time these thoughts comes up.
There's a lot of things I'd like to remember. Some days it's just where I put something in the house. I've prayed and asked the Lord to help me find several things. Many times this works!
I had a friend who had suffered a stroke. She would say out loud things she wanted to remember. Doing that seemed to really work for her.
If we want to stop remembering things we need to let go we can apply what Dr Leaf said. "Think about something else." When we want to remember something, saying it out loud, may help. If we can't find something we can ask the Lord for help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment