Monday, July 4, 2016

Who Am I?

by Kay Heitsch
Have you ever wondered who you really were or why you were born? This isn't something I have thought about much, but I have wondered about it over the years.
Ever since I was born I remember my parents telling me that I was mostly German in my heritage. After all my Grandpa Kurtz had come directly from Germany. He lived with us off and on and I spoke German before I spoke English. We talked about my Mom's family heritage, but not much. My Mom did put names on the 'family tree' in my baby book, but I didn't pay too much attention to it.
What was talked about were "behaviors" of past relatives. I was told to be careful to stay away from certain things because there was a family history of people who had issues with these things. Alcohol being one. For the most part I listened. I'll admit I did several things that I was told might be an issue. I was thankful I was warned because when I started to SEE I was having a problem; I did my best to quit! I knew I didn't want to go down that road.
I've wondered why I was very driven to do what I really believed I was suppose to do. I cared what people thought to a degree, but even when I received discouragement from people, I still was driven to pursue what I believed I was suppose to do. If people were happy that was fine, but if they weren't, I didn't let that bother me. I love people, but I'm not a "people pleaser."
This past week I found out more about my family history. I'd had my DNA done and I was shocked to find out I was 75% Great Britain. At first I was upset. I was sure there must be some mistake. I thought it would come back that I was mostly German. Oh I had some German in me, but it wasn't anything close to the GB.
What really was an eye opener was a note I received from a second cousin I have never met. Megan told me that she had done a lot research on my Mom's side of the family. Lo and behold one of our ancestors, Rev William Brewster, had come over on the Mayflower. Megan also informed me that we were Daughter's of the American Revolution. WOW!
This information answered a lot of questions about why I am driven to do what I truly believe I'm suppose to do. And why I do not let others discourage me. It's in my DNA I'm sure my Great.......Grandpa Rev. William Brewster who came over on the Mayflower had a lot of people who tried to discourage him too, but he stood his ground.
Knowing this past history is cool, but the best thing I learned is that I am a "Child of God." Being related to William Brewster is one thing, but knowing who I am in the long run, is the coolest!

No comments:

Post a Comment