Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Yes, You Can!

by Kay Heitsch
I can't help what I think! Yes, you can! We don't need to think every thought that falls into our heads. We do have the ability to choose what we want to dwell on.
There's an old saying, "You can't keep a bird from flying over your head. But you sure can keep him from landing on your head and building a nest!" speaks well to this subject.
I've known many people who have made their life, as well as others, miserable because of the thoughts they think.
Yesterday I read something on a doctor's fb page from the Cleveland Clinic, "Emotional pain lasts for 10-20 minutes, anything longer is actually self inflicted by over thinking and making matters worse."~ Cleveland Clinic Isn't that interesting.
Todd used to always say, "Mind over matter, Mom." when I'd say something negative. He had a lot of wisdom for his age.
When I started to study the Bible I learned a lot about the mind. One text that spoke to me was, "Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts." Proverb 4:23.
Over time I found, "This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24 I put this on the refrigerator when Todd died. I knew I could choose to be happy.
I like the practical help I learned and this text is one, "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Philippians 4:8
I can honestly say these 3 texts changed my way of thinking. I started to think, "Yes,You can!" Because I also leaned, "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13.

No comments:

Post a Comment