Monday, June 27, 2016

Being Kind

by Kay Heitsch
"It's all really very simple.You don't have to choose being kind to yourself and others. It's one and the same." Piero Ferrucci
It was a sad day. I was going to the funeral of a little boy named Bobby. Bobby had died after falling and being caught under the tractor driven by his mom, Sue. I knew I needed to be there for Sue.
While I was getting dressed for the funeral, I had a divine inspiration. A thought came to me to buy Lisa, Bobby's sister a stuffed animal. I knew this thought to buy the stuffed animal must be from the Lord, since I'd never done anything like this before, or even thought of it, for that matter. I left the house early and stopped at a local store and bought a cute stuffed animal. I didn't have time to wrap it, so I bought a pretty gift bag and some colored tissue paper. I put the stuffed animal in the bag and topped it off with the tissue paper.
When I walked into the funeral home I saw little Lisa sitting with her head hanging down. I walked over and handed her the pretty gift bag. Lisa looked up with tears in her eyes and gave me a faint smile. She removed the stuffed animal from the bag and held it close throughout the service. I could see that holding this stuffed animal was bringing comfort to Lisa.
This morning I posted a quote, "It's all really very simple.You don't have to choose being kind to yourself and others. It's one and the same." I could have dismissed this thought to buy the stuffed animal to give to Lisa. However, I'm very happy that I acted on sharing a small act of kindness. I not only was kind to Lisa but being able to show kindness to her brought joy to my heart as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment