Friday, December 14, 2018

Too Soon or Too Late

You can never do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late. Ralph Waldo Emerson
How many times have we said, "Oh I'll do that tomorrow?" Sometimes tomorrow never comes and then we say, "Boy, I wish I hadn't put that off."
I'll share a story that happened last month.
Betty has been a wonderful friend to our family for many years. One thing Betty always did was to send birthday cards. From the time Brandon was little until he graduated Betty sent him a birthday card with $5.00 in it.
A few weeks ago I called Betty as I did from time to time. Betty didn't answer the phone; instead her daughter Carol did. Carol shared with me that Betty had gone downhill fast. She was now on Hospice. I talked briefly to Betty and told her I loved her.
I immediately sent Brandon a text and let him know Betty wasn't doing very well. Much to my surprise Brandon stopped what he was doing and sent Betty flowers.
The next day Carol called me. She was so excited and told me Brandon had sent Betty flowers. Betty loved them! A few days later Betty died.
Can I tell you how very proud I was of Brandon? He didn't wait to show kindness. You can never do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment