Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Comparing Ourselves To Others

by Kay Heitsch
This past week someone said something to me that made me smile. I was told that I seemed to be very comfortable with being who I am. Joe went on to say I came across as accepting of others, because I was comfortable with myself. WOW!
I've known many people who were not happy with who they were. They were always comparing themselves with others. These people have a hard time being happy with anyone who they think has more, looks better, etc etc than them. Seriously, what a horrible way to live.
I like to do things that some people would not like to do. Because I find joy in these things other people think they should do them too. We are not all going to like and find joy in doing the same things.
I remember years ago when I visited a nursing home once a week to pass out candy and talk with people someone said, "Boy, you really enjoy doing this. Maybe I should do it too." Well, maybe they should try it or maybe they shouldn't. Just because I liked it and found joy in doing it, doesn't mean they would.
Some people enjoy sitting in meetings. I do not! I know these things need to be done, but I am not the one for that job. I don't envy them, or put myself down, because I don't like to do that.
We are all unique and we like to do different things. We don't need to compete or compare ourselves to others.
The Bible says, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' (see Mark 12:30 & 31) I truly believe if we can love ourselves, in a balanced way, we will also be able to love our neighbor too.

No comments:

Post a Comment